Friday, July 25, 2008

Rabbit 4-H and Turkey Legs


My mom and dad, sister, her boyfriend, Michael, and the girls and I went to the Washington County Fair last night. The sights, sounds, and smells brought back lots of fun memories for me as a kid who spent many a summer at the fair involved in 4-H, rabbit 4-H that is. Yes, my sister and I were skilled in the delicate art of rabbit training and showing. It took hours and hours of work to make sure our little bunny was going to be obedient on the judging table, sitting still and quietly on his little carpet square, being calm while we performed various techniques for the judges like showing them the straightness of his back and front legs, answering questions about particular breeds and diseases, and then there was confirmation. No, we did not put our bunnies through a class on Catholicism, this was basically a section of the competition when our little bunny was on his own. He had to be looking his best, no molting or crooked teeth, he had to be as perfect to the breed standard as he could be in order to win the coveted crown, "Best of Show." At a rabbit show one year, my agouti Netherland Dwarf, Penny, won this award! But it always seemed like he was in the middle of his summer molt during the fair and he never came close. Rats! I mean, rabbits! My sister and I had lots of fun and learned lots about raising animals during our time in 4-H. Happy Hoppers forever!

The girl's great-grandma, Alma Lou, was also at the fair working the Child Evangelism Fellowship booth. After she was finished, she joined us and walked around the fair. She bought the girls a HUGE turkey leg that we enjoyed once we got home. Yummm! These puppies are delicious and almost taste a little like ham (weird), but still quite good.

2 comments:

Julie B said...

the girls are growing up so much I can't believe my eyes Eve tooks so cute eating that turkey leg LOL....
Zoe looks cute picking her teeth. I'm happy for you gals....
Take care :->

KORTNI GRAY said...

I THINK IT'S ADORABLE HOW ZOE HAS THIS LITTLE TURKEY BONE AND EVE HAS A HUGE TURKEY LEG. THAT IS SO CUTE!